20
Jan
10

Finding Inspiration

Have you ever read a great book and asked, “How did the author think of that?”

The funny thing about that question is that there are as many answers as there are scenes written by authors. Every flash of inspiration comes from a different source–a snippet of conversation you overhear in a restaurant, a visceral reaction you have to a photo or an ad you see, or the what-if question you ask when you read a headline in a newspaper.

Sometimes, once you open yourself up to inspiration, you can barely shut it off. The dialogue, scene ideas, and exposition can overwhelm your brain.

That is why I typically watch TV while I fall asleep. It is much easier to shut my brain down when I’m hearing familiar dialogue from a favorite sitcom than when I’m surrounded by nothing but silence and snoring.

Readers, what was the last book you read that made you ask how the author could possibly have come up with that chain of events?

Writers, what led to your most recent stroke of inspiration? And, how do you flip the inspiration switch?

Advertisements

1 Response to “Finding Inspiration”


  1. 1 Carolyn Haley
    29 January, 2010 at 12:22 pm

    I find inspiration by keeping the switch turned off. 99.9% of my new ideas and solutions to problems come when I’m doing something else. The remaining 0.1% come from just sitting down at the page and typing something, anything, relevant to the story or assignment I need to work on.

    The hard part is trusting my mind to keep working in the background and coughing up those ideas and solutions at odd moments. So far, it’s never failed!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


calendar

January 2010
M T W T F S S
« Dec   Feb »
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031

Note: Some links on this blog are affiliate links.


%d bloggers like this: